If a minor is going to travel only by plane, either nationally or to another country, it is important to know the requirements in this regard. Depending on the airline, the minimum age to do so varies. In addition, some airlines have an escort service, while others do not allow children to travel alone.
Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.
If your child is going to travel alone by plane, it is important to know that there are some companies that limit this action, because they do not have an accompaniment service. Some of them are the following:
- easyJet: Children under 14 must travel with an adult 16 years of age or older.
- Ryanair: Unaccompanied children under 16 are not allowed. They must go with a passenger over 16 years old.
- Long live Aerobus: up to 13 years old they have to go in the company of an adult over 18 years old. From 14 to 17 they can go alone with authorization.
- Wizzair: Children under 14 must be accompanied by a person over 16 years old.
Other companies have some type of support service for minors and therefore are not so restrictive. With these airlines, with exceptions, children from 5 years can travel. The particular conditions are these:
- Aeromexico: Children between 5 and 13 will fly with the unaccompanied minor service (UMNR). It has a cost of 646 Mexican pesos for national routes and $ 116 for international flights.
- Air Europe: the escort service (UM) is mandatory for children between 5 and 11 years old (up to 14 years old on international flights). Children between 12 and 17 have the optional Young People service. These options are available on flights with a maximum scale of 5 hours. The rate ranges between € 35 and € 120, depending on the flight.
- American Airlines: young people between 5 and 7 years of age who go on direct flights are provided with accompaniment. Between 8 and 14, on any trip. From the age of 15 it is optional to hire the service. Children between 2 and 14 years old can be accompanied by a person over 16 years old.
- Avianca: The escort service is mandatory for children between 5 and 11 years old, but it is not allowed to do more than two stops or spend the night at the connecting airport. It is optional for people from 12 to 17 years old. A young person between the ages of 12 and 17 cannot carry a child under 12, unless he is the father of the child.
- Iberia: Children between 5 and 11 years old have mandatory escort service. For young people between 12 and 17 years old it is optional.
- Interjet: Assistance is hired for people between 5 and 17 years old.
- Jetblue: Children between 5 and 14 children will have special help as long as the flight is nonstop and $ 100 is paid. If they are older, additional assistance may be requested. Children between 2 and 13 years old can be accompanied by a person over 14 years old.
- LATAM (LAN): the escort service is mandatory for children between 5 and 12 years old, optional if they are older.
- Volaris: Children between the ages of 5 and 11 must hire the “Volaris accompanies you” service, optional for the elderly. Children under 2 to 4 years old can go with a family member between 12 and 17 years old, but they must acquire the companion service. They must arrive at the airport of origin with an adult.
- Vueling: If they are between 5 and 11 years old, they can travel alone with the Child Support Service (UM), which costs between € 45 and € 55, or with a person over 16 years of age. The benefit is optional between the ages of 12 and 17, but if they travel alone, they may be asked for an authorization.
In the case of hiring one of the assistance services offered by these companies, it will be necessary to fill out a form in which the data of the person who will take the child to the airport and the one who will pick it up once the plane will appear land. Usually, it must be requested in advance, when purchasing the plane ticket.
The documentation that a minor who flies only needs depends on his age and the destination he is going to. The best thing is to bring your own identification document Whatever the circumstances.
In the case of Spain, if the child is under 14 and travels within the country, he does not need to carry anything. If you fly abroad or are over 14 years old, you must have your ID or passport.
In addition, if they travel abroad without parents and do not have a passport, the parents or legal guardians must formalize a permit or authorization in the police, for which they will have to present the family book.
As for most Latin American countries, such as Mexico, if the child travels abroad, they also need authorization. Also, if you fly with only one of the parents, divorced or not, the other parent needs to authorize the departure.
As we have indicated previously, if the minor chooses the helpdesk, a form must be filled out. If it is not hired, the airline may request an authorization.
Can children travel alone by plane from Mexico?
Yes they can, but they must compulsorily carry a signed document in which both parents or guardians authorize their trip. It must be signed before a notary or with the relevant authority.
What is the documentation to travel by plane with children within Argentina?
In principle, no additional writing to the identity document is necessary. However, if the child flies with only one parent, the other must be informed of the trip.
Can a minor travel only to the United States (USA)?
Yes, it may, but depending on the country of origin, you may need authorization from your parents or legal guardians.
This article has been shared 34 times.
Finally, we have selected the previous and next article of the block "Travel by airplane"so you can continue reading: