Claims for delay of a flight with Ryanair always generate doubts and fears of tourists, mainly because they are not clear about what a cancellation or great delay consists of and the causes for which they can occur.
Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.
Ryanair states that delays of more than 3 hours or cancellations on its flights will be notified via email to the e-mail address that the client provided during the reservation of his flight.
If you wish to update this email address, you should contact the local reservation center. In this email the customer will also be informed about their options for changing the reservation or refund.
Ryanair operates under the EU regulation 2626, according to which the rights of its customers in case of delay of more than 3 hours or cancellation are those shown below.
For more detailed information, we recommend you take a look at the post Air passenger rights.
Right to compensation
When the shipment has been denied involuntarily or the flight is suspended, these will be the amounts to which you are entitled:
- € 250 for flights of 1,500 km or less
- € 400 for all intra-community flights of more than 1,500 km and flights between 1,500 and 3,500 km
When the reasons for cancellation do not depend or have not been caused by Ryanair, there will be no financial compensation.
These indemnities will be reduced by half in case Ryanair can offer a alternative flight and the expected time of arrival of said flight is within one of the following deadlines:
- in the two hours after the original flight (on flights of 1,500 km or less)
- within three hours after the original flight (on intra-Community flights whose distance exceeds 1,500 km and all flights between 1,500 and 3,500 km)
However, the regulation does not contemplate the right to compensation in the event of a delay of less than three hours.
When the passenger suffers from a serious illness that makes it impossible for you to make the flight you booked or in case of death, Ryanair will reimburse the price of the ticket of the affected person and their companions (if any) or give an option to change the reservation without any additional charge.
Right to reimbursement or alternative routes
When you are denied boarding voluntarily or involuntarily or your flight is canceled, you will have the right to choose between three options:
- Alternative route to the final destination under similar transport conditions and as soon as possible
- Alternative route to the final destination under similar transport conditions, but at a later date you choose from the available options
If the flight is delayed more than five hours, you are entitled to a refund.
Right to assistance
In case of refusal of involuntary boarding, flight cancellation or delay of more than two hours, Ryanair offers the following compensation (no additional surcharge):
- Vouchers redeemable for food and drinks of proportional value to the waiting time
- Right to two phone, fax, email or telex calls
- Hotel accommodation when the wait is extended to one night or more
- Transportation between the airport and the place of accommodation
If, under any circumstance, Ryanair cannot offer you the aforementioned assistance, the company will reimburse you for expenses incurred in delaying or canceling your flight as long as you submit the corresponding invoices.
For this last purpose, you will have to send a request to the following address: Ryanair Customer Services Dept., P.O Box 11451, Swords, Co. Dublin, Ireland.
The Irish airline establishes a series of cases in which the above rights do not apply, which means that the passenger loses his right to any financial compensation from the company. Let's see what these exceptions are:
- When the cancellation of the flight has been notified to the passenger at least 15 days before the scheduled date of flight departure.
- When the cancellation of the flight has been notified to the passenger between 15 and 7 days before the scheduled date of departure of the flight and an alternative route has been offered whose departure is made no more than two hours before the scheduled time for the flight original and arrive at the destination less than four hours after the initial time scheduled for arrival.
- When the cancellation of the flight has been notified to the passenger at least 7 days before the date scheduled for the flight departure and an alternative route has been offered whose departure is to be made at the latest one hour before the original time and arrival at the destination it is at most two hours after the scheduled time for the initial flight.
- In reference to the section Right to compensation, the airline states that it can demonstrate that the cause of the cancellation is due to extraordinary and unavoidable circumstances even by taking all possible measures to avoid such circumstances.
The following are considered extraordinary or unavoidable circumstances: political instability, weather conditions, precaution and safety, strikes or other labor conflicts or delay in the air control service.
Although on many occasions flight cancellations occur due to reasons beyond the control of the passenger, there are a number of basic recommendations that should be taken into account when we are going to book a flight:
- If it is expected that there is temporary bad weather at the destination airport, an option could be to book a route that lands at an airport near the desired airport and travel there by bus, train or other means of transport. This can save you problems and take away from you the risk of the flight being canceled, and it may end up leaving you more economically.
- Check the routes they offer well other airlines in case they offer routes in a date close to the desired one that is free of meteorological or political problems, labor conflicts, etc.
- When you are going to book a flight, always check the meteorological conditions planned for that day, both at the airport of origin and destination.
The contact phone offered by Ryanair for questions or complaints in each country is paid and works from 08:00 to 19:00 hours, so we advise you to make all inquiries through the Internet and use the phone only when it is strictly necesary.
Since this link You can access the refund request form. In addition, Ryanair has a free online chat service from its website.
This article has been shared 32 times.
Finally, we have selected the previous and next article of the block "Travel by airplane"so you can continue reading: