The moussaka, Musaka or moussaka It is a dish of Balkan origin that is also cooked in the Middle East and in Greece. The Greek recipe is the one that has gained the most popularity around the world. A plate of moussaka has about 520 calories per serving and 31 g of fat, levels that can be reduced to 280 calories if we opt for a vegetarian moussaka.
Here is a list of the ingredients that are needed for 4 people. First, we show the ingredients to make the bottom layer or filling of this dish:
- 1 kg of eggplants
- ½ kg of minced lamb or veal
- 5 tomatoes
- 2 onions
- Fresh mint leaves
- Parsley leaves
- 1 head of garlic
- 4 eggs
- Bread crumbs
- 1 cup of milk
- Olive oil
- Ground black pepper
Refering to top layer, you will need the following ingredients:
- 200 g grated cheese
- 1 Greek yogurt
- 50 g feta cheese
- 1 egg
Step by step preparation
These are the steps you should follow To prepare a Greek moussaka:
- Cut the eggplants into slices of 6-8mm and fry them in abundant olive oil.
- Once fried, leave the slices on absorbent paper so that the oil soaks.
- Then, add the minced meat to the leftover oil to fry the eggplants and add the salt, black pepper, ground cinnamon and tomato, either crushed or cut into small pieces.
- When all this mixture has browned, remove from heat.
- Grease the oven tray or the container where the moussaka is to be placed and start mounting on it the first layer of moussaka with the eggplant slices.
- On this first layer, add a second layer of minced meat and tomato.
- Cover these two layers with the third and last layer: the top layer. In this layer you should mix the egg, feta cheese and Greek yogurt. It is possible to replace this mixture with a traditional bechamel.
- Finally, cover the top layer of grated cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven and leave for 1 hour at 180ºC.
- Once baked, let stand for about 30-40 min. In this way, it will acquire consistency and the layers will not break when you eat it.
Total time: 60 min approx.
Finally, we have selected the previous and next article of the block "Typical dishes of the world"so you can continue reading: