Traveler help

Requirements, tips and documentation for traveling in Europe

It is possible to travel throughout much of Europe with a single document, such as a DNI or passport, thanks to the Schengen Agreement. However, depending on your country of origin, you may need to apply for a visa. Therefore, we explain the entry requirements as well as other formalities, among which are the European Health Card and the vaccines recommended for this territory.

Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.

Required Documentation

Depending on your nationality, the documents needed to travel in Europe vary. Some people only need their ID or NIE, while others must apply for a visa.


Members of the countries belonging to the Schengen area do not need identification to travel to any member state of this treaty. However, it is advisable to carry at least the DNI (National Identity Document), since in most of the airports they request it.

There are some countries of the European Union that they are not part of this agreement, but they have circulation agreements, so you can enter them with your ID. They are the following territories:

  • Bulgaria
  • Cyprus
  • Croatia
  • Ireland
  • United Kingdom
  • Romania

If you want to know which countries are included in the Schengen area, you can find out in the following article: The Schengen area and the Member States of the European Union.

Similarly, if you are a foreigner residing in any of these territories, such as Spain, and you have NIE (Foreigner Identity Number) you can also travel through the Schengen area.

However, to go to the countries of the European Union that do not belong to the Schengen area, you will have to meet other specific conditions, so you may be asked for a passport or visa.


People from certain states can travel to Europe without having to apply for a visa, only with their passport. For this, it must have a minimum validity of three months after leaving Europe and must have been issued in the last 10 years.

Travelers from these territories can stay on the continent for a maximum of three months. They are the following:

  • TO: Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia
  • B: Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei
  • C: Canada, Chile, Colombia, South Korea, Costa Rica
  • D: Dominica
  • AND: El Salvador, United Arab Emirates, United States
  • G: Granada, Guatemala
  • H: Honduras, Hong Kong
  • I: Israel, Marshall Islands, Solomon Islands
  • J: Japan
  • K: Kiribati
  • M: Macedonia, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro
  • N: Nauru, Nicaragua, New Zealand
  • P: Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru
  • S: Samoa, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Marino, Holy See, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore
  • T: East Timor, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu
  • OR: Uruguay
  • V: Vanuatu, Venezuela

Schengen visa

The rest of the countries, including Bolivia, Ecuador and the Dominican Republic, need a visa. If you are going to visit a territory of the Schengen area you can apply for a visa with the same name, which allows you to move throughout this area for a maximum of three months.

This permit is requested in a Diplomatic Mission or Consular Office belonging to the country to which you are traveling. Although the details may vary, as a general rule the following documentation must be carried:

  • Visa and photo application form
  • Passport valid for at least three months on the expiration date of the visa
  • Round trip ticket or private vehicle documentation
  • Hotel reservation or invitation letter from a family member
  • Proof of sufficient financial resources
  • Travel insurance that covers a minimum of € 30,000 and includes repatriation and emergency medical expenses
  • Pay a fee of € 60

To enter European countries that are not part of the Schengen area, you must consult the particular conditions of each one, as these may vary.

Other requirements

If you are European and you are traveling with a boy Under 14, he only needs to carry the Family Book or the Birth Certificate. From that age, it is recommended to carry the ID. In addition, if traveling alone, parents must formalize an authorization. Minors from other countries must register the same documents as adults.

As for the pets, citizens of the European Union can travel with a dog, cat or ferret carrying the European passport of pets.

If you go to Finland, Ireland, Malta or the United Kingdom, you should additionally perform a treatment against Echinococcus tapeworm, which must be administered between 24 and 120 hours before the trip.

Pets from any country must carry an electronic microchip or legible tattoo that was applied before July 3, 2011. In addition, the rabies vaccine is mandatory.

For other animals such as rabbits or birds, the national regulations of each country should be consulted. A maximum of five pets can be taken per person.

Health card and vaccines

European citizens can apply for the European Health Card (TSE), which covers medical expenses by accident or illness in the member countries of the European Economic Area and Switzerland. It is free and is valid for two years. If you travel without a European health card, you will have to carry the costs.

Medications can be brought but must be in the original box and with a prescription. As for vaccines, there is no obligation and only those common to any country are recommended:

  • Tetanus-Diphtheria
  • Triple viral (measles, rubella and mumps)
  • Hepatitis A

User Questions

Being from a foreign country, what are the requirements to travel to Europe with an Italian passport?

If you have an Italian passport, you can travel through Europe without any restrictions, since you have the same rights as any Italian citizen.

How much money should I take for a trip to Europe?

Depending on the country, to be granted a Schengen visa, you have to have between € 30 and € 90 for each day of travel.

Can I travel to Europe more than three months?

In principle, the tourist visa is for a maximum of three months that cannot be extended. If you want to stay longer, you will have to apply for a long-term visa.

This article has been shared 89 times.

Finally, we have selected the previous and next article of the block "Prepare the trip"so you can continue reading:

Leave a Reply