The Multiple Migration Form (FMM) is a tourist permit necessary to travel to Mexico. There are three types depending on the purpose of the trip: FM2, FM3 and Immigration card. Foreigners traveling to the United Mexican States for tourism must request the FM2 modality. In the following we explain how to get it, what is its cost and what to do in case of loss, theft or expiration.
Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.
- 1 What is the FMM and who needs it?
- 2 How much does it cost and where do you get it?
- 3 Expedition by replacement
- 4 Can it be extended or renewed?
- 5 User Questions
- 5.1 What are the requirements for a change of immigration form in Mexico?
- 5.2 What news includes the new electronic immigration form in Mexico?
- 5.3 Should Russians ask for any special permission other than the FMM to travel to Mexico for tourism?
- 5.4 Is there any way to get an FMM for free?
- 5.5 In addition to the FMM, should any other special permission be obtained to drive on Mexican roads?
What is the FMM and who needs it?
The meaning of the acronym FMM is Multiple Migration Form, an admission document enabled by the Migration's national institute (INM) of the United Mexican States. Commonly known as visitor card or tourism permit, applies to those foreign citizens who wish to enter Mexico by land or air:
- Land: can be obtained electronically. It applies to those who enter through any of the following states: Baja California, Sonora, Tamaulipas, Coahuila, Chihuahua or Nuevo León. Later we explain the steps to follow and requirements necessary for your request.
- Aerial: it is necessary for air internment (FMME) and can also be requested online. Foreigners are required to enter the country by air through places destined for the international transit of people.
The FMM must be duly filled out by any foreigner who travels to Mexico for vacation purposes, including diplomatic personnel. Minors (from 2 years of age) who visit the country as tourists must also count on it.
However, it is important to keep in mind that once the online application is completed, the FMM must be printed and made valid. before 30 days at the chosen hospitalization point. Otherwise, your permission will have no effect.
For more information on the rest of the requirements and documentation necessary to travel to Mexico, we recommend visiting the following article: Tips, documentation and requirements to travel to Mexico.
What types exist?
The General Population Law Mexico establishes three basic types of migratory qualities, each with different characteristics. These are: nonimmigrant, immigrant and immigrant. Within each of them, the type of permit can be classified according to the purpose of the visit to the country:
- Nonimmigrant: foreign citizens who come temporarily. Tourists, transmigrants, visitors, ministers of worship or religious associates, students, refugees, political asylum seekers, local visitors, distinguished visitors, provisional visitors and correspondents are included.
- Immigrant: foreign citizens with the intention of settling in the country. They include rentiers, investors, professionals, positions of trust, technicians, scientists, artists and athletes, family members and assimilated.
- Immigrated: foreign citizens who acquire the rights for permanent residence.
Taking these characteristics into account, the documents to be issued may be the FM2, the FM3 wave immigrant card. Those who wish to travel to Mexico for tourism and all the qualities included in the "Nonimmigrant" section must request an FM3.
For its part, FM2 grants permission to settle in the country for up to 5 years. For approval, the conditions required by the Ministry of the Interior, as well as other applicable immigration provisions must be met.
Those who wish to obtain the consideration of immigrants must submit their application during the six months following the expiration date of the fourth renewal of their FM2, in accordance with the requirements of the General Population Law, Art. 190.
How much does it cost and where do you get it?
The cost of the FMM amounts, since January 2017, to 500.00 Mexican pesos, which is equivalent to about USD 24 or € 21. Those who travel to Mexico by air must keep in mind that the payment of the rights to obtain the FMM is included in the cost of their plane ticket.
Getting the Multiple Migration Form is very simple and requires little time. Currently, there are two formats to pay for and obtain it: either by making the procedure electronically, or by downloading and printing the document, and making the payment at the bank.
Once obtained, every immigration card includes a individual number composed of 10 digits. It is absolutely advisable to write down this number or save it so that you can dispose of it in case of loss or theft. In the next section we explain how to proceed and what options exist in the face of any of these unforeseen events.
Choose the path you choose, the last step is always seal it at the immigration office or, otherwise, your FMM will not be valid and you will be denied entry. You must go once you arrive at the border to document the date of entry.
Expedition by replacement
In case of loss, theft or destruction Total or partial of the FMM, the visitor or resident card, it is possible to replace the immigration document as long as it is still valid. For this, it is essential to present:
- Identity and travel document or the official document that was presented to obtain the residence permit
- Proof of payment
The cost of replacement is 1,107.00 Mexican pesos. Depending on the type of incident, the original of the different documents mentioned in the following sections must be presented, according to each case:
Replacement for loss or theft
If a replacement is requested from the FMM for theft or loss in national territory, it must appear in person before the immigration authority. In addition, it must be recorded in the deed of fact.
If, on the contrary, the theft or loss took place outside Mexican territory, both the FMM and the replacement visa with which you traveled to Mexico must be submitted.
Replacement for deterioration or total destruction
In these cases, the original of the Multiple Migration Form or, where appropriate, the visitor card, the resident card or the provisional document with which the entry permit was obtained must be attached.
Can it be extended or renewed?
The FMM is an individual entry record that can be extended up to a maximum of 180 days. However, the conditions for the entry, exit, stay and / or transit of foreigners were affected by the changes introduced by the New Migration Law (NLM), known simply as reform.
The most outstanding modification has to do with the maximum allowed period of stay in the country, which can be divided into: 1) stays of up to 180 days and 2) stays of more than 180 days:
- 180 days or less: available to foreigners who intend to carry out unpaid activities (in some cases, some paid activities are allowed). Tourists in general, temporary travel visitors and business people are included. It is not possible to change this condition, except for those who have links with Mexicans or residents.
- 180 days or more: in this case, it is not possible to enter only with an FMM, but it will be decided to either obtain temporary resident status (up to 4 years), or permanent resident status (indefinite permanence). This last permit also authorizes the interested party to work in exchange for remuneration.
It is possible to renew an expired FMM both in person and online. If you opt for the second option, you must follow all the steps indicated to do the procedure correctly, print it and deliver it in person at the INM paperwork office.
We recommend, however, request a valid 180-day permit from the beginning, even if you don't have plans to stay that long. If any unforeseen event arises, it is much easier to have it already granted than, once in Mexico, to start the process from there.
You can check the prices and other requirements for the FMM renewal by clicking on the following link: Issuance of immigration document for renewal.
What are the requirements for a change of immigration form in Mexico?
It is possible to change to permanent resident by family bond after having obtained the condition of stay of visitor or temporary resident.
To do this, you must present your passport, identity and travel document (or, failing that, the official document displayed for the entry), the valid and current resident or temporary FMM card, and proof of payment . Likewise, the link with the Mexican or permanent resident in Mexico must be demonstrated.
You can find out about the other requirements here: Change to permanent resident by family bond.
What news includes the new electronic immigration form in Mexico?
The new electronic format has the same validity and purpose as the traditional FMM: it proves the applicant's stay condition. It is important to note that it must be preserved throughout the stay, as it is also required to leave the country.
Should Russians ask for any special permission other than the FMM to travel to Mexico for tourism?
Russian, Ukrainian and Turkish citizens must apply for a visa to enter Mexico. However, today there is the so-called SAE or Electronic Authorization System, which allows them to travel to the country by air without obtaining a visa.
Is there any way to get an FMM for free?
No. As explained above, the cost of the FMM is 500.00 Mexican pesos. There are two forms of payment: either by payment of the receipt directly at the bank, or via telematics thanks to the new electronic FMM.
In both cases, the rights must be paid and proof of payment must be presented to the immigration officers to obtain the official seal that will validate our card.
In addition to the FMM, should any other special permission be obtained to drive on Mexican roads?
Yes. To travel to Mexico by car, you must apply for a temporary import permit for vehicles, which can be obtained online through the National Migration Institute. It must be requested 60 days before the trip maximum and 7 days minimum.
It takes seven business days to arrive, so we advise you to organize in advance. Also, if you travel from the US or the owner of the vehicle is American, a preauthorization must also be obtained through the INM.
This article has been shared 173 times.
Finally, we have selected the previous and next article of the block "Prepare the trip"so you can continue reading: