Traveler help

Tips, documentation and requirements to travel to Chile

Chile has a cultural heritage of great value, which includes a great diversity of manifestations, such as music, art, customs, traditions, gastronomy, architecture … All this makes Chile a very attractive country for tourists. We inform you about the documentation you need, as well as the requirements you must meet to work, study or live there.

Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.

Documentation and visas

The documentation necessary to travel to Chile as a tourist depends fundamentally on whether the tourist belongs to any of the following groups: that of the countries that maintain diplomatic relations with Chile and that of the countries that do not maintain such agreements.

Obviously, citizens from those countries that are in the second group will need to submit more documentation, that is, meet a greater number of requirements. What you can never miss, whether you belong to one group or another, is your valid passport, because without it you will not be able to cross the border of Chile.

Countries that maintain diplomatic agreements

Below is the necessary documentation for those citizens who come from any of the countries mentioned in the list below:

  • Valid passport: All foreigners who wish to enter Chile as tourists must have their valid passport.
  • I.D: citizens from Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru and Uruguay can enter the country only by presenting their valid identity card.
  • Tourist Card: also called seen of tourism. At the time of crossing the border of Chile, the International Police Office provides a duplicate form called Tourist Card, which must be filled out. Once this is done, this card will be granted, which is personal and non-transferable, and its maximum duration will be 90 days (3 months). It is important not to lose this card during our stay in the country, since we will be asked for it at the time of leaving. If we wish to extend the validity of this card, we will have to make an application at the Regional Intentions, Immigration Office.
  • Notarial authorization for minors: those foreign tourists minors and traveling alone, will have to present a notarized authorization from their father, mother or legal guardian when entering Chile. This authorization must be approved by the Chilean Consul of your country of origin. In addition, Argentines under 21 who travel alone also need this same authorization.
Miscanti Lagoon, San Pedro de Atacama, Chile

List of countries that maintain diplomatic agreements with Chile:

  • TO: Albania, Germany, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia and Austria.
  • B: Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria and Burkina Faso.
  • C: Canada, Cyprus, Colombia, South Korea, Costa Rica, Cote d'Ivorre and Croatia.
  • D: Denmark and Dominica.
  • AND: Ecuador, El Salvador, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, United States and Estonia.
  • F: Russian Federation, Fiji, Philippines, Finland, France and Fyrom.
  • G: Gabon, Gambia, Grenada, Greece, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Equatorial Guinea and Guyana.
  • H: Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong (only the special administrative region) and Hungary.
  • I: Comoros Islands, Indonesia (only in the case of a simple visa for a maximum period of 60 days), Ireland, Iceland, Marshall Islands, Mauritius Islands, Solomon Islands, Israel and Italy.
  • J: Jamaica and Japan.
  • K: Kiribati.
  • L: Laos, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania and Luxembourg.
  • M: Macao (applies to nationals of the special administrative region), Madagascar, Malaysia, Malawi, Maldives, Malta, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro and Myanmar.
  • N: Nuaru, Nicaragua, Norway, New Zealand,
  • P: Netherlands, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Poland and Portugal.
  • R: Czech Republic, United Kingdom, African Cento Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Dominican Republic, Romania and Rwanda.
  • S: Samoa, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Marino, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Lucia, Holy See, Sao Tome and Principe, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, South Africa, Sweden. Switzerland, Suriname and Swaziland.
  • T: Thailand, East Timor, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey and Tuvalu.
  • OR: Ukraine, Uganda, Uruguay. Vanuatu, Venezuela and Vietnam.
  • Z: Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Countries that do not maintain diplomatic agreements

To enter the Republic of Chile, a Single or Multiple Visa for Foreigners, which is aimed at those foreigners whose purpose is to visit the country solely for recreational, sports, family, religious, health, etc. without immigration, permanent residence or development of remunerated activities. Below is the documentation that must be attached in that application:

  • National passport or identity document: will have to be in force until the end of your stay in Chile.
  • Reasons for the trip: When we apply for a tourist visa, we must present to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs the reason for the trip, the duration of our stay and the date of arrival and departure from the country.
  • Return ticket: It will also be mandatory to present the return ticket to our country of origin or to a third party, in which case we will also have to prove that we have authorization to enter that country.
  • Refugees and stateless persons: tourists in any of these special situations will have to obtain the approval of tourism after consulting the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • Economic solvency: tourists from countries without diplomatic relations with Chile will have to prove economic solvency in order to cross the border.
  • Letter of Invitation: may be from a natural person or from a company located in Chile.
  • Hotel reservation: It will only be necessary to present a form that proves the reservation of accommodation in case you do not have any family, friend or acquaintance in Chile.

List of countries that do not maintain diplomatic agreements with Chile:

  • TO: Afghanistan, Angola, Saudi Arabia, Algeria, Armenia and Azerbaijan.
  • B: Bahrain, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Brunei and Burindi.
  • C: Cape Verde, Cambodia, Cameroon, Chad, China, Congo (Brazzaville), North Korea and Cuba.
  • D: Djibouti.
  • AND: Egypt, United Arab Emirates, Eritrea and Ethiopia.
  • G: Georgia and Ghana.
  • I: India, Iran and Iraq.
  • J: Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Lesotho, Lebanon, Liberia and Libya.
  • M: Mali, Morocco, Mauritania and Mozambique.
  • N: Namibia, Nepal and Nigeria.
  • OR: Oman, Pakistan and Palau.
  • Q: Qatar.
  • S: Senegal, Sierra Leone, Syria, Somalia, Sri Lanka and Sudan.
  • T: Tanzania, Tiyikistan, Togo, Tunisia, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.
  • AND: Yemen.
Documentation needed to travel to Chile

Reciprocity Tax

The citizens coming from Albania, Australia, Canada and Mexico They must pay the Reciprocity Tax in order to enter Chile. This entry tax must be paid as soon as you get off the plane and before going through immigration control. The cost of this tax depends on your nationality, so, below we detail the price per country:

  • Australia: US $ 61 (€ 53.94).
  • Albania: US $ 30 (€ 26.52).
  • Canada: US $ 132 (€ 116.71).
  • Mexico: US $ 23 (€ 20.33).

Until 2014, American citizens they also had to pay the reciprocity fee; However, with the entry of the Visa Waiver Program, the obligation to pay this tax, which amounted to US $ 160, has been eliminated.

Customs and import

All international citizens must pass through customs control to enter the country. There is a regulation regarding what is allowed to enter and what is not. In the following we present this information.

What is allowed

  • Baggage and personal items: personal items, whether new or used, carried by any traveler and for personal use or as gifts, will be considered as luggage. Those merchandise that, due to their quantity or value, are presumed to be destined for commercialization will be excluded. An adult can pass customs control with a maximum of 400 units of cigarettes, 500 grams of pipe tobacco, 50 units of cigars and 2.5 liters of alcoholic beverages. The following items will not be considered as luggage: home furnishings, dishes, household items, lingerie, paintings, musical instruments, electronic devices or appliances, and office facilities.
  • Articles of duty free: items that are not for commercial purposes purchased at the duty free airport of arrival to a maximum amount of US $ 500.
  • Special items: the following items may enter the country through a prior declaration before the Customs Service: cameras and their accessories, cameras or film projectors and slides; record player and records; portable typewriters; tape recorders and cassettes; Portable radios; binoculars; sports accessories in general; camping equipment Your entry is allowed as long as they are for personal use and are taken back to the tourist's country of origin.
  • Vehicles and cars: It is only allowed to enter Chile with a vehicle or car if the stay is not going to exceed 90 days.
  • Domestic animals: Tourists can enter Chile with domestic animals such as dogs and cats whenever a Certificate of Vaccination of these against rabies and distémper is presented, which must be approved by the corresponding Chilean Consulate in the country of origin.

What is not allowed

  • Unprocessed natural products: products of animal origin, fruits, vegetables and seeds that have not been processed. If we want to enter a product with these characteristics in Chile, we will have to declare it or else we will be sanctioned with a fine of 3 to 300 UTM. To declare these products we will have to first fill in the Joint Customs / SAG Affidavit, which must be delivered to the Agricultural and Livestock Service (SAG). Once this is done, our luggage will be checked by the SAG, an agency that will determine if these products can enter the country or not.
  • Weapons: explosives, ammunition and firearms.
  • Drugs: any kind of illegal drug.

Labor migration

Foreigners who travel to Chile to develop a work activity acquire the denomination of Resident Subject to Contract.

This consideration will automatically be given to the spouse, children or parents of the person who acquires this condition, provided that they depend on the holder of the work visa and do not exercise any remunerated activity.

In addition, the interested party must prove their permanent residence or visa in Chile, as well as be duly authorized to work. This is achieved after signing an employment contract. The worker may carry out his labor activity before having obtained legal residence in the country with a special work permit for foreigners with a visa in process.

However, for a foreign worker to acquire this condition, he must meet the following requirements:

  • The company, institution or person that hires the foreign worker must have legal domicile in Chile.
  • The employment contract must be signed in Chilean territory before a Notary by both parties: the employer and the worker or his legal representative.
  • If they are specialized professionals or technicians, they must prove their corresponding title, after legalization in their country of origin.
  • Activities carried out abroad in Chile cannot be considered dangerous or threatening according to national security. In case of doubt, a report will be requested from the Ministry of National Defense.
  • The hiring of the worker, as well as the employment contract, must comply with all the relevant labor provisions, apart from those required by foreigners to obtain a work visa.

It should be borne in mind that the resident visa subject to contract may be valid for up to two years and may be extended for equal periods. In addition, even if said visa is available, if the employment relationship ends for whatever reason, the validity of said visa expires automatically.

Visa for artists

There is a visa modality called Visa for artists, intended for those artists who travel to Chile to work during a period not exceeding 90 days. To obtain it, you will have to meet the following requirements:

  • Have a representative or artistic producer.
  • Apply for a tourist visa if there is no visa exemption agreement.
  • Accredit artist status.
  • The artistic producer or representative must apply for a work permit before the Department of Immigration of the Ministry of Interior in Chile.

Scholarships and studies

In order to study as a regular student in Chilean institutions and schools, interested foreigners must request a Resident Student Visa for foreigners.

This visa will grant them permission to study in the country for a maximum period of one year and, in the case of the fellows, during the duration of the scholarship. To obtain this visa, the following requirements must be met:

  • Certificate of enrollment or acceptance letter from the Chilean University or Educational Entity in which the interested person will study.
  • Prove to the Chilean Consulate an economic solvency that will allow it to survive during the study period.
  • Criminal record.
  • Medical certificate.
  • Valid passport.
  • Four passport-sized photos.

Likewise, the Chilean Government Scholarship Program offers two modalities:

  • Postgraduate Scholarships: These scholarships are aimed at foreign professionals studying for a master's degree at a Chilean university.
  • Scholarships for graduates: The objective is for foreign professionals to participate in one of the highly specialized courses that are part of the offer of training courses in human resources of the Government of Chile. Its duration can be between 4 and 6 weeks.

These scholarships cover the cost of round-trip tickets, the allowance for support, book aid, support for doctoral thesis, medical insurance and fees charged by the University.

In any case, these data may vary each year, so it is advisable to consult it in the annual call. This information can be found on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (AGCI) of Chile, by clicking on this link.

For more information about scholarships to study in Chile, we recommend you click on this link.

Study in Chile

Work and holiday program

The program Work and Holiday It is an agreement signed between Chile and the two countries mentioned below: New Zealand and Australia.

The agreement with Australia allows young Chilean and Australian students and graduates not older than 31 years (on traveling to another country on vacation with the possibility of studying and working at the same time, for a maximum period of one year.

In the case of the agreement with New Zealand, the requirements will be the same, with the exception of age, which should not exceed 30 years. You can get more information on the website of this Program by clicking on this link.


Below we detail the requirements that must be met to qualify for Chilean nationality:

  • Be a foreign citizen
  • Have turned 21 or 18 in case of being the son of a Chilean father or mother.
  • Have been residing in Chilean territory for more than 5 years (this period will be calculated from the first residence visa).
  • Be the holder of the Permanent Definitive Permanence permit.
  • Not have a criminal record.
  • Have the ability to make a living by their own means.
  • Fill out and sign the form called Nationalization Letter Request, attaching the necessary documentation.

By clicking on this link, you can get more information about this process.

Visa to travel to Chile

Spanish: Dual Nationality Agreement

Spanish citizens, that is, born in peninsular territory, in the Balearic or Canary Islands, may choose to take advantage of the Dual Nationality Agreement. For this, the interested party or the interested party will have to present a Notarial Affidavit in which they request to accept this agreement between Chile and Spain.

Residence permit

There are two types of residence visa in the country: the temporary residence and the definitive permanence. In addition, within one of these types of visa, there are different modalities depending on the case of the interested party or the interested party.

Temporary residence

First, we list the types of temporary residence visa:

  • Temporary visa for foreigners with links to a Chilean or a Chilean.
  • Temporary visa for the son of a transient foreigner.
  • Temporary visa for foreigners linked to family members with permanent residence.
  • Temporary visa for former residents.
  • Temporary visa for religious.
  • Temporary visa for retirees and rentiers.
  • Temporary visa for investors and merchants.
  • Temporary visa for professionals and technicians of a higher level, with two or more contracts, paid abroad, journalists or media professionals.
  • Temporary visa for pregnant women and medical treatment.
  • Visa for the states that are part of MERCOSUR (includes nationals of Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Uruguay and Paraguay).

Permanent permanence

As for obtaining the permanent stay, it will be granted in the following cases:

  • Residents with contract as a dependent of an employer.
  • Residents with student visa.
  • Residents with a temporary visa with ties to Chile.
  • Residents with a temporary visa for the son of a transient foreigner.
  • Residents with temporary visa for religious.
  • Residents with a temporary visa for residents linked to a family member who has permanent residence.
  • Residents with a temporary visa as investors, fees or rentiers.
  • Residents with a temporary retirement visa.
  • Residents with temporary visa for children under 18 not accompanied by their parents or legal guardians.
  • Residents whose spouse is a Chilean foreign service official.
  • Residents with official visa (administrative or service staff).
  • Residents with temporary visa as son or daughter of foreign nationalized Chilean parents.
  • Residents with a temporary visa as a former Chilean nationalized foreigner.
  • Residents with visa subject to contract or temporary visa for residents who act as crew members.


To enter Chile, you are not required to get vaccinated against any disease or pass any specific medical exam. However, we recommend the following vaccines as a prevention measure:

  • Routine vaccinations: Although we are usually vaccinated against these diseases as children, if you are not up to date on diseases such as measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, whooping cough and tetanus, among others, we recommend doing it before undertaking your travel.
  • Hepatitis A and B
  • Typhoid fever
  • Influenza (seasonal flu and H1N1)

This article has been shared 1364 times.

Finally, we have selected the previous and next article of the block "Prepare the trip"so you can continue reading:

Leave a Reply