Traveler help

Tips, documentation and requirements to travel to Germany

The legal requirements to travel to Germany depend on the nationality of each person and the duration of the trip, among other aspects. If you are going to visit this country on your own, it is important that you know the information that we present in this article.

Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.

Necessary documents

Depending on your nationality and the reason for the trip, the requirements to enter Germany vary:


Citizens of a country that is part of the European Union, in addition to Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, only need their National Identity Document or ID to travel to Germany.

Also, foreigners who have a residence card in any of the states of the Schengen area you can go to Germany with your NIE and your passport. If you want to know which countries are included in this treaty, we recommend that you read the following article: The Schengen area and the Member States of the European Union.


On the other hand, there are some countries that have agreements with members of the Schengen area. Therefore, people from the following territories do not need to apply for a visa to visit Germany:

  • TO: Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia
  • B: Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei
  • C: Canada, Chile, Vatican City, Colombia, South Korea, Costa Rica
  • D: Dominica
  • AND: El Salvador, United Arab Emirates, United States
  • G: Granada, Guatemala
  • H: Honduras, Hong Kong
  • I: Marshall Islands, Solomon Islands, Israel
  • J: Japan
  • K: Kiribati
  • M: Macao, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro
  • N: Nauru, Nicaragua, New Zealand
  • P: Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru
  • S: Saint Kitts and Nevis, Samoa, Saint Marino, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Lucia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore
  • T: Taiwan, East Timor, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu
  • OR: Uruguay
  • V: Vanuatu, Venezuela

In relation to Serbia and Montenero, passport holders who are referred by the Coordination Center for Kosovo are excluded. Likewise, people who come from Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro or Serbia must have a biometric passport.

All travelers with one of the nationalities listed above may stay in Germany for a maximum of 90 days in a period of 180, but they will not be able to carry out any paid activity.

It should be noted that, possibly, the following documentation is requested at border control:

  • Reason for the stay (hotel reservation, company confirmation letter, invitation letter …)
  • Financing of € 45 per day of stay (cash, credit card …)
  • Medical insurance valid for the entire Schengen area, which has a minimum coverage of € 30,000 and that begins its validity at the time of entry
  • Round-trip ticket
  • Passport valid for at least 180 days from entry to Germany


The rest of the people who come from a country other than those we have previously named, such as Bolivia or Ecuador, will need a visa to travel to Germany. If your stay is going to be less than 90 days in 180, you must apply for the Schengen visa.

This permit costs € 60 and with it we can enter any State belonging to the Schengen area. It must be requested in person and at least 15 days in advance. The documents that must be submitted, both originals and photocopies, are the following:

  • Application form filled in and signed.
  • Biometric photo of 4.5 x 3.5 cm.
  • Passport with a minimum validity of three months after the planned departure from the territory.
  • Round trip flight booking.
  • Medical insurance for the Schengen area with a coverage of € 30,000 and including repatriation expenses.
  • In the event that you travel to make a visit, invitation letter, Financial Commitment Document of the person you invite, demonstration of financial means with bank statements of the last three months and, if working, employment certificate.
  • If you travel for tourism, hotel reservation, travel itinerary, demonstration of economic means and work certificate.
  • If it is a business trip, hotel reservation, travel itinerary, confirmation of the trip by the employer, business invitation in Germany, company information, demonstration of economic means and, if applicable, entry or proof of participation in A fair.
Although these are the general requirements, some details may vary in your country. Therefore, it is advisable to contact the nearest German Embassy to confirm the information.

On the other hand, if you want to go to Germany to live for more than 90 days or three months, to work, or study, you must apply for a National Visa. This procedure can be extended up to three months. Its price is also € 60.

Germany has also created the Working Holiday Programm, which allows young people between 18 and 30 years old from countries like Argentina and Chile to stay in Germany for one year with permission to work occasionally.

Other requirements

We find some special situations in which the requirements to enter Germany vary:


If a minor from Spain or another country belonging to the Schengen area travels only to Germany, he must go with his ID accompanied by an authorization from the parents or guardians formalized in police units. If you carry a passport, it is not necessary.

Also, if the child comes from a country that is required to have a visa, the application form must go signed by the tutor, and this must be presented at the time of managing the visa.

In addition, the child must present the birth certificate and the proof that their parents or guardians have sufficient financial means.


In case you want to travel to Germany with your dog or cat, you should know that the limit of pets per person is set at five, unless you are going to participate in a contest.

Come from where the animal comes from, you should have the rabies vaccine up to date and carry a microchip identification. If the animal is earlier than July 3, 2011, an identifying tattoo is also accepted provided that it is legible. Only puppies older than 15 weeks will be allowed.

If it is the first time you vaccinate your pet against rabies or the last vaccine given has expired, you must wait 21 days before making the trip.

If the animal enters from another country of the European Union, it must carry a community passport with a veterinary receipt confirming that you have the rabies vaccine up to date. This also applies to the following territories:

  • Andorra
  • Vatican CITY
  • Croatia
  • Gibraltar
  • Greenland
  • Iceland
  • Faroe Islands
  • Liechtenstein
  • Monaco
  • Norway
  • San Marino
  • Switzerland

There are also some countries that, in addition to the passport and the vaccine, also have to submit a written statement from the animal's companion confirming that the animal does not travel for commercial or exchange reasons. In addition, if you have arrived through a third country, you must state that you have not had contact with other animals prone to rabies or left the airport or means of transport. It applies to the following states and zones:

  • TO: Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Aruba
  • B: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Barbados, Bahrain, Bermuda, Belarus
  • C: Canada, Chile, Curacao
  • AND: United Arab Emirates, United States
  • F: Fiji
  • H: Hong Kong
  • I: Ascension Island, BSS Islands (Bonaire, Saint Eustatius and Saba), Cayman Islands, Maldives, British Virgin Islands
  • J: Jamaica, Japan
  • M: Mayotte, Montserrat, Mauritius, Mexico, Malaysia
  • N: New Chalcedony, New Zealand
  • P: French Polynesia
  • R: Russia
  • S: Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Helena, Saint Lucia, Singapore
  • T: Taiwan, Trinidad and Tobago
  • V: Vanuatu
  • W: Wallis and Fortuna


If you plan to go from Spain to Germany in car, you will not have any problem, as the Spanish driving license is valid throughout the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. However, provisional certificates or permits are not accepted.

However, if you come from a non-EU country and want to drive through Germany, you probably have to have an international driving license.

In order to arrive by other means of transport such as the bus or train, no additional documentation is required than we have already dealt with in the previous sections.

User Questions

Can I travel to Germany with the expired NIE?

No, with the expired NIE you cannot travel through the Schengen area. In order to do so, you should request renewal and authorization to return to the country where you are living.

What happens if I travel to Germany without a European Health Card?

If you are from Spain, you are in Germany without a European Health Card and you need to use the medical services of the country, the expenses of these must be paid by yourself. Therefore, it is highly recommended to have this card, with which healthcare is free.

Should I take any special precautions during my trip in Germany?

As indicated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation of Spain, after the last terrorist attacks suffered, it is recommended to increase caution in crowded areas and follow the safety advice of the country's authorities.

This article has been shared 307 times.

Finally, we have selected the previous and next article of the block "Prepare the trip"so you can continue reading:

Leave a Reply