Traveler help

Tips, documentation and requirements to travel to Holland

If you are thinking of traveling to Amsterdam or another area of ​​the Netherlands, the most important thing is to know what you need to enter. In this article, you will know whether or not to apply for a visa, in addition to whether you have to meet other additional requirements.

Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.

Necessary documents

Depending on your nationality and the reason for the trip, you will need documentation or another to enter the Netherlands.

ID and passport

People from member countries of the European Union, in addition to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, can travel to the Netherlands with just their National Identity Document. Therefore, the Spanish do not need a passport to travel from Spain to Holland.

Likewise, foreigners with a residence permit in any Member State of the Schengen area can enter the Netherlands without applying for a visa, only with a valid passport. To know the territories that are part of this agreement, we recommend you visit this article: The Schengen area and the Member States of the European Union.

On the other hand, there are other states that are also exempt from applying for a visa if their citizens are going to travel for a maximum of 90 days and for tourism reasons. They are the following:

  • TO: Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia
  • B: Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei
  • C: Canada, Chile, Vatican City, Colombia, South Korea, Costa Rica
  • D: Dominica
  • AND: El Salvador, United Arab Emirates, United States of America
  • G: Georgia, Granada, Guatemala
  • H: Honduras, Hong Kong
  • I: Marshall Islands, Solomon Islands, Israel
  • J: Japan
  • K: Kiribati
  • M: Macao, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro
  • N: New Zealand, Nicaragua
  • P: Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru
  • S: Samoa, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Marino, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Lucia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore
  • T: Taiwan, East Timor, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu
  • OR: Ukraine, Uruguay
  • V: Vanuatu, Venezuela

In the case of Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Serbia and Ukraine, only biometric passports are accepted. In addition, Serbia's passports that have been issued by the Serbia Coordination Directorate are excluded.

Likewise, all persons must carry a passport with a minimum validity of three months at the time they plan to end their trip and that has been issued in the last ten years.

All travelers who have to present their passport may request an invitation letter, reservation of accommodation, return ticket or proof that they have financial solvency at the border control.


Citizens of other countries that we have not named in the previous section yes they need a visa to enter Holland. Among these territories are Bolivia, Cuba, Ecuador and the Dominican Republic.

When it is for tourism and for less than 90 days, you must have a Schengen visa, which will also allow us to travel to the rest of the countries of this agreement. The papers that must be submitted to request it are the following:

  • Passport with at least two blank pages that has been issued in a maximum of 10 years and with a validity of at least three months from the date of departure from the Schengen area.
  • Application form filled in and signed.
  • Passport size photograph.
  • Payment of fees.

He price This visa is € 60 for adults, € 35 for children between 6 and 12 years and free for children under five years. The visa application for minors must also be signed by a parent or guardian.

In Ecuador there is no Dutch Embassy, ​​so its citizens should go to the Spanish Embassy to apply for a Schengen visa.

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for more than 90 days, you must apply for a residence permit. However, the countries of the European Union and these territories are excluded from this requirement:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Vatican CITY
  • South Korea
  • United States of America
  • Iceland
  • Japan
  • Liechtenstein
  • Monaco
  • Norway
  • New Zealand
  • Switzerland

Dutch Caribbean

In the Caribbean, the Netherlands has certain territories: Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, St. Eustatius and a part of St. Martin (Sint Maarten). To enter them the conditions are different to those named so far. The states that are exempt from visas for this territory are these:

  • TO: Albania, Germany, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria
  • B: Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bosnia Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei Bulgaria
  • C: Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Vatican City, Colombia, South Korea, Costa Rica, Croatia
  • D: Denmark, Dominica
  • AND: Ecuador, El Salvador, United Arab Emirates, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, United States of America, Estonia
  • F: Finland, France
  • G: Grenada, Greece, Guyana (visa for Sint Maarten)
  • H: Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary
  • I: Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Italy
  • J: Jamaica (only for Curacao), Japan
  • L: Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg
  • M: Macao, Macedonia, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro
  • N: Nicaragua, Norway, New Zealand
  • P: Netherlands, Panama, Paraguay, Peru (visa for Curacao and Sint Maarten), Poland, Portugal
  • R: United Kingdom, Czech Republic, Romania
  • S: Saint Kitts and Nevis, Sweden, Switzerland, Suriname
  • T: Taiwan
  • OR: Uruguay
  • V: Venezuela

Nor do people with a residence permit in a country in the Schengen area, the United Kingdom, Ireland, the French part of Sint Marteen or the United States and Canada need a visa in specific cases (among which are Bolivians, Cubans, Dominicans and Peruvians ).

Similarly, if you are on a cruise in the area and you will only stay less than 48 hours (24 hours in the case of Aruba), you will not have to ask for a visa.

All visa-exempt persons may remain until 90 days out of every 180, with the exception of people from the Netherlands and the United States, who can stay 180 out of every 365 days.

The entry requirements are to have a valid passport with less than 10 years, hotel or invitation reservation, enough money for the trip and travel insurance with a minimum coverage of USD 15,000 (US dollars).

User Questions

What is the best time to travel to the Netherlands?

One of the most recommended moments is spring, when temperatures are less cold and the flowers are at their best. However, the best weather is summer.

Is there a problem traveling to Holland by motorhome?

No, it is an option that some people choose to tour the country. In addition, you will find several campsites where you can spend the nights.

Can I study or work in Holland?

Yes, but unless you are from a European Union territory, you most likely need a special permit.

This article has been shared 166 times.

Finally, we have selected the previous and next article of the block "Prepare the trip"so you can continue reading:

Leave a Reply