Traveler help

Tips, documentation and requirements to travel to Italy

The documentation required to travel to Italy varies depending on each nationality. The main differences are between the citizens of the European Union, those of countries with some agreement like Argentina and countries without any agreement, as is the case of Bolivia. Other requirements must also be taken into account, as well as knowing some tips to visit the country.

Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.

Required Documentation

People from any country that is part of the European Union, such as Spain, can travel to Italy without a visa. They should only present a document that identifies the person and reports on their nationality, that is, the National identity document (DNI) or Passport.

Only citizens of states that, despite not belonging to the European Union, are from the Schengen area, only need an identity document. These countries are Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

In the same way you can go to Italy with your passport if you are a foreigner residing in a country of the Schengen area and have NIE or Foreigner Identity Number. If you want to know more about the member states of this treaty, we recommend you visit the following article: The Schengen area and the member states of the European Union.

There is also a large list of other countries that, if the stay is less than 90 days, they need passport but no visa. They are the following countries:

  • A: Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina and Australia
  • B: Bahamas, Barbados, Brazil and Brunei
  • C: Canada, Chile, Vatican City, South Korea, Colombia, Costa Rica and Croatia
  • E: El Salvador and the United States
  • G: Guatemala
  • H: Honduras
  • I: Israel
  • J: Japan
  • M: Macedonia, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco and Montenegro
  • N: New Zealand
  • Q: Panama, Paraguay and Peru
  • S: Saint Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, Serbia, Seychelles and Singapore
  • U: Uruguay
  • V: Venezuela

The passport they present must have a minimum validity of three months at the time they are going to enter the country, and in the case of Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia it must be a biometric passport.

Once in Italy, the authorities ask the members of these countries for documentation that justifies the reason for their trip and the duration of the trip, showing the return flight reservation and the hotel reservation or the Invitation Letter.

A Letter of Invitation It is a report whereby an Italian citizen confirms that you will be staying in the place where he lives, whether it is a home of his own or where he is rented.

United States passport

Despite the earthquakes in Italy in 2016, the documentation and requirements necessary to travel to the country have not changed, since the services and infrastructure in it have been restored in a matter of days.


As we have explained, the members of the European Union only need an identity document to travel to Italy, while other countries are required to present a passport but no visa.

Tourist visa

The rest of the countries that we have not named before do need visa, and among them are Bolivia, Ecuador, Cuba and the Dominican Republic. In these cases, the necessary documentation for the tourist visa is:

  • Visa application. In this link you can find the visa form
  • Recent passport photo
  • Passport with a minimum validity of three months on the date on which you are traveling
  • Ticket back to the country of origin
  • Some proof that the applicant has financial solvency, that is, the means of subsistence necessary to cover his stay
  • Documentation indicating the applicant's social and professional status
  • Medical insurance covering a minimum of € 30,000 for emergency hospitalization and repatriation expenses, valid throughout the Schengen area
  • Demonstrate that accommodation is available for the duration of the stay (eg hotel reservation)

This tourist visa allows the owner to stay in Italy for 90 days, and its price is € 60. If we want to be in the country for a longer time, we can apply for other types of visas.

Student visa

With the student visa you can stay for a maximum of one year, although it has the possibility of renewal. The requirements to apply are the following:

  • Documentation of the course, professional training or cultural activity to be carried out
  • Prove that you have sufficient financial means
  • Medical coverage in case the foreign student does not have the right to healthcare in Italy
  • being older than 14 years old
  • If a health activity is to be carried out, recognition of the qualification by the Italian Ministry of Health to practice professionally
Going to Italy to study

Family Reunification Visa

Another type of visa is family reunification or reunification. This is divided into two types: on the one hand, the one granted to reunite with family members, and on the other, with which you can enter Italy followed by the family.

In the latter case, family members benefit from access to health services, enroll in courses or vocational training and register for occupation lists.

Soggiorno letter

The letter of soggiorno or residence permit It is another method to stay in Italy for more than 90 days. It must be requested during the first eight days of stay in the country and present the following documents:

  • Application form
  • Passport and, when necessary, visa
  • Four recent photos in passport size
  • An electronic tax stamp with a value of € 14.62
  • The necessary documentation for the type of residence permit requested
  • A payment that can range from € 80 to € 200

There is no marriage visa, since if a person marries an Italian, he also acquires Italian citizenship.

Other documents

Apart from the necessary documentation that we have already explained, there are other situations in which other documentation must be submitted if you want to travel to Italy.


If you are a citizen of a member country of the European Union, it is best to request the European sanitary card (TSE) before your trip. In this way, you will have free and free access to public health services in Italy. If you are from Spain, you can request it through this link.

European sanitary card

If you come from a non-EU country, you must pay the corresponding fee for each health service you need. Therefore, it is highly recommended to take out travel medical insurance.


Currently there is no mandatory vaccine to travel to Italy. Despite this, it is recommended to be immunized against the following diseases:

  • Measles
  • Parotitis
  • Rubella
  • Tetanus-Diphtheria

In addition, if you travel in winter, it is advisable to get a flu shot, due to the increase in this disease in the colder months.

Travel with children

In the case of minors, children traveling accompanied by their parents need the same documentation as an adult to enter the country. They cannot be included in the documentation of their parents, but they will have to have his own, with the exception of people from Denmark, the United Kingdom and Ireland.

Visit Italy as a family

It is totally allowed to travel to Italy with a baby. The only thing you should keep in mind, in addition to the documentation already indicated, are the special needs of it.

If, on the other hand, minors do not travel with any of their parents, they must have a Passport or carry along with their ID authorization of his parents formalized before the authorities of the country of origin. It is a situation that happens frequently on end-of-course trips.

Travel with pets

Also, if you want to enter Italy with your dog or pet and you come from any country of the European Union you must take with it the Pet Passport.

In addition to this, animals from the following countries need a certificate in which the validity of a rabies vaccine is recorded:

  • Andorra
  • Vatican CITY
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Monaco
  • Norway
  • San Marino
  • Switzerland

On the other hand, a veterinary certificate confirming the good health of the animal, rabies vaccination certificate and microchip or tattoo clearly legible is needed if you come from one of these countries:

  • A: Ascension, Antigua and Barbuda, Netherlands Antilles, Australia and Aruba
  • B: Barbados, Bahrain and Bermuda
  • C: Canada and Croatia
  • E: United States
  • I: Fiji Islands, Falkland Islands (Falkland Islands) and Cayman Islands
  • J: Jamaica and Japan
  • M: Mayotte, Montserrat and Mauricio
  • N: New Chalcedony and New Zealand
  • P: French Polynesia
  • S: Singapore, St. Helena, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Pierre and Miquelon, and St. Vincent and the Grenadines Islands
  • V: Vanuatu
  • W: Wallis and Futuna
Travel with dog to Italy

Finally, if the country of origin of the animal is not one of those mentioned above, the animal must undergo a rabies antibody identification test in a certified laboratory, with a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of three months in advance (for what animals under three months can not travel to Italy).

This article has been shared 646 times.

Finally, we have selected the previous and next article of the block "Prepare the trip"so you can continue reading:

Leave a Reply