Traveler help

Tips, documentation and requirements to travel to Mexico

Mexico is a Latin American country located in North America whose official language is Spanish. According to data collected by the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), Mexico is the most tourist country in Latin America and one of the most visited in the world, due to the great cultural diversity it has. In what follows we inform you about the documentation you will need to travel to Mexico, either as a tourist or to live, work or study there.

Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.

Required Documentation

These are the documents common to every foreign citizen who wishes to enter Mexico:

  • Valid passport: ordinary, diplomatic or service.
  • Return plane ticket: The period of stay in Mexico for tourist reasons cannot exceed 180 days. You must not only show the return ticket, but also a document that accredits the place or places where you will stay during the stay. Thus, if we are going to stay in a hotel, we will have to show the reservation form; If, on the other hand, we are not going to stay in the house of a friend or relative, a migratory form will be necessary that is delivered on the plane during the outward journey. In it, the address of the person with whom we are going to stay during the stay must appear, as well as their full name and a contact telephone number.
  • Multiple Migration Form (FMM): foreigners whose stay in the country is for tourist reasons and, therefore, does not exceed 180 days, will have to complete the FMM, document under which we accredit our immigration status as non-immigrants, since our stay is considered short-term . You can find more information about FMM in the following article: What is FMM and how is it achieved?
  • Economic solvency: It must be proven that we have sufficient financial means to cover the accommodation and living expenses we have during our planned stay in the country.

Migratory Forms (FM)

Apart from the FMM, the Mexican State makes other Migratory Forms available to foreign citizens according to the reason for the trip:

  • FMVL: Applies to the local maritime visitor.
  • FMT: Applies to foreign tourists.
  • FMN: Applies to business persons (as merchant-investor, professional, business visitor or by personnel transfer) from the US and Canada.
  • FME: Applies to Mexican citizens themselves for statistical purposes for the times they enter and leave the country.
  • FM3: Applies to nonimmigrants who will temporarily reside in the country.
  • FM2: Applies as an immigrant (person who acquires residence rights in the country) and immigrant, in any of the following modalities: artist / athlete, trust, assimilated, scientific, family, investor, rentier, technical or professional.
  • FMVC: Applies to visitors and advisors with business reasons, in any of these modalities: transfer of personnel, business visitor, advisor or technician.
  • FM6: Applies to transmigrants (people entering Mexico in the middle of another trip; for example, a citizen of Guatemala who wants to travel to the US and stops in Mexico).
  • FMVA: Applies to temporary agricultural visitors who cross the southern border of the country (Chiapas).


Countries that do not need a visa

Below we list in alphabetical order the countries whose citizens, if they travel for tourist reasons, do not require a visa to cross the border of Mexico:

  • TO: Germany, Argentina, Andorra, Aruba, Anguilla, Australia, Netherlands Antilles, and Austria.
  • B: Bahamas, Belize, Barbados, Brazil, Belgium and Bulgaria.
  • C: Canada, South Korea, Chile, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Croatia and Colombia.
  • D: Denmark
  • AND: Slovakia, United States, Slovenia, Estonia and Spain.
  • F: Finland and France.
  • G: Gibraltar, Guadeloupe, Greece, French Guiana and Greenland.
  • H: Hong Kong and Hungary.
  • I: Ireland, Marshall Islands, Iceland, Christmas Islands, Azores Islands, Niue Islands, Bermuda Islands, Norfolk Islands, Cayman Islands, Pitcairn Islands, Cocos Islands, Reunion Islands, Cook Islands, US Virgin Islands, Faroe Islands, Islands Wallis and Futura, Guam Islands, British Virgin Islands, Falkland Islands, Israel, Marine Islands and Italy.
  • J: Jamaica and Japan.
  • L: Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg.
  • M: Macao, Martinique, Mahore, Micronesia, Malaysia, Monaco, Malta and Montserrat.
  • N: Norway, New Caledonia and New Zealand.
  • OR: Oman.
  • P: French Polynesia, Netherlands, Palau, Poland, Panama, Portugal, Paraguay, Puerto Rico and Peru.
  • R: United Kingdom, Czech Republic and Romania.
  • S: American Samoa, Singapore, Sweden, San Marino, Saint Helena and Switzerland.
  • T: Trinidad and Tobago, Tokelau, British Indian Ocean Territory and Turks and Caicos.
  • OR: Uruguay.
  • V: Venezuela.
Travel to Mexico for tourist reasons

In any case, when going through the immigration screening filter, must submit the following documents:

  • National passport or identity document in force.
  • FMM duly completed.
  • Form showing the hotel reservation, plane ticket back to the country of origin or itinerary in case you have hired a tourist itinerary
  • Letter in Spanish from the foreign company responsible for the travel of the interested party in which it is expressed that said person is employed by this company and that the remuneration for the services they will provide in Mexico will be paid by them.
  • Letter from the public institution or organization in which the foreign person is invited to participate in any unpaid activity in Mexican territory, in which he must state the reason for the trip and its duration. If this institution is going to cover any expenses derived from the trip, you will also have to attach a letter that lists this responsibility.
  • Letter of acceptance or invitation from a Mexican educational organization in which the interested party is invited to participate in an activity or course, or to participate in a research project for a maximum period of 80 days.

Countries that need a visa

Citizens of the countries listed below must apply for a visitor visa without a permit at a Mexican Embassy or Consulate when their stay is for tourist reasons and does not exceed 180 days:

  • TO: Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Antigua and Barbuda, and Azerbaijan.
  • B: Bahrain, Bangladesh, Botswana Brunei Darusalam, Belarus, Burkina Faso, Benin, Burundi, Bolivia, Bhutan and Bosnia-Herzegovina.
  • C: Cape Verde, Congo, Cambodia, Congo (Zaire), North Korea, Cameroon, Chad, Ivory Coast, China, Cuba and Comoros.
  • D: Djibouti, Dominican Republic and Dominica.
  • AND: Ecuador, United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Eritrea, El Salvador and Ethiopia.
  • F: Russian Federation, Philippines and Fiji Islands.
  • G: Gabon, Guatemala, Gambia, Guinea, Georgia, Guinea, Georgia, Guinea Bissau, Ghana, Equatorial Guinea, Grenada and Guyana.
  • H: Haiti and Honduras.
  • I: India, Indonesia, Iraq, Iran, Solomon Islands, Seychelles.
  • J: Jordan.
  • K: Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kenya, Kuwait and Kyrgyzstan.
  • L: Laos, Liberia, Lesotho, Libya and Lebanon.
  • M: Macedonia, Muritania, Madagascar, Myanmar, Malawi, Moldova, Maldives, Mongolia, Mali, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique and Mauritius.
  • N: Namibia, Nicaragua, Niger, Nauru, Nepal and Nigeria.
  • OR: Oman.
  • P: Pakistan, Palestine and Papua New Guinea.
  • Q: Qatar.
  • R: Central African Republic, Rwanda and Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic.
  • S: Western Samoa, Sierra Leone, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Syria, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Somalia, Saint Lucia, Sri Lanka, Holy See, South Africa, Sao Tome and Principe, Sudan, Senegal, Suriname, Serbia and Swaziland.
  • T: Thailand, Taiwan, Tonga, Tunisia Tanzania, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Turkey, East Timor, Togo and Tuvalu.
  • OR: Ukraine, Uganda and Uzbekistan.
  • V: Vanuatu and Vietnam.
  • AND: Yemen.
  • Z: Zambia and Zimbabwe.

However, those foreign citizens from any of the previous countries that present any of the following documents will be exempt from applying for a visa:

  • Document proving that you are a permanent citizen in the US, Canada, Japan, United Kingdom, or any member country of the Schengen Area.
  • U.S. Visa valid and valid.
  • APEC Business Traveler Card (APEC Business Travel Card)
  • Certificate attesting that the person concerned is a member of the crew of the aircraft with which he arrives in the country
Requirements to travel to Mexico

APEC Business Traveler Card

Promoted by the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Forum (APEC), this card is a document that facilitates migration to the United Mexican States for business purposes. The objective is to encourage free trade, as well as investment between countries. Specifically, this document allows you to travel quickly and efficiently to APEC member countries, which we cite below:

  • TO: Australia.
  • B: Brunei Darussalam
  • H: Hong Kong.
  • I: Indonesia.
  • R: Russia and the People's Republic of China.
  • S: Singapore
  • T: Thailand and Taiwan.
  • V: Vietnam.
APEC Business Traveler Card


Before proceeding to start the import process to Mexico, we must meet the following requirements:

  1. Enroll in the List of importers and the Federal taxpayer registration.
  2. Have a current tax situation.
  3. Have a Advanced Electronic Signature.
  4. Hire the services of a agent or customs broker
  5. Carry out the order conferred on said agent or customs agent
  6. Load with expenses of uses and applicable contributions, storage, loading and unloading, and transportation of merchandise.
  7. Comply with the tariff regulations for each type of merchandise.

Once we have followed all the previous steps, to be able to import into the country we will have to present these documents:

  • Request in the official form approved by the Ministry of Finance and Public Credit (SHCP).
  • Customs regime to which the merchandise is intended.
  • Data for the determination and payment of foreign trade taxes.
  • Payment data for transition measures or compensatory fees (if any).
  • Facts about origin, he weight and the volume of the goods.
  • Document proving compliance with regulations and non-tariff restrictions.
  • Bar code, electronic signature or confidential number of the customs agent's office.

If you want more information, we recommend you check this link.

Labor migration

If we want to work temporarily in Mexico, then it will be enough to request an FM3. However, if our intention is to work indefinitely in the country, in that case we must request an FM2, with which we will obtain residence permits in the country. This visa can only be processed in Mexico and is only granted if we present the following documentation:

  • Process of proof of the employer: This document authorizes a Mexican businessman to extend a job offer to a foreign citizen. Its validity is one year.
  • Visa authorization by job offer: Through this document, authorization is obtained from the National Immigration Institute to obtain a work permit in Mexico. Thus, an Internment Permit will be provided to the interested party, with which they will have to go to the Mexican Consulate, and pass an interview so that the work visa (FM2) is finally granted. Once you arrive in Mexico with this visa, the Residence Card will be granted abroad after completing the procedure called Exchange.

However, there are three exceptional cases in which the foreign citizen can apply for a work visa in Mexico even if they have previously entered the country as a tourist:

  • If the interested party has a direct family relationship with a foreigner who has a residence permit in Mexico (parents, children or spouse).
  • If the interested party has a direct family relationship with a person of Mexican nationality (parents, children or spouse).
  • If the interested party marries a person of Mexican nationality during their stay as a tourist, that is, during the 180 days allowed to visitors as a tourist.
Labor migration to Mexico

Border Worker Visitor Card

The Border Worker Visitor Card is intended for citizens Belizeans and Guatemalans that have a job offer to work in any of the following states of the southern border: Campeche, Chiapas, Tabasco and Quintana Roo. With this card, it is also possible to leave and enter the country as many times as desired. To obtain this card, all interested persons will have to present mandatory:

  • Two front photographs
  • A profile picture
  • Proof of payment of the corresponding fees (according to the Federal Rights Law)
  • Free written document where the job offer to which the interested party is subscribed is credited by the employer or his legal representative.

However, depending on whether you come from Belize or Guatemala, you will have to present a different documentation. Here we show you:

Belizean citizens:

  • National passport or identity document.
  • Valid and current travel document.

Guatemalan citizens:

  • National passport or identity document.
  • Personal Identification Document (DPI).
  • Valid and current travel document.

Mexico-New Zealand Binational Agreement

In 2007, Mexico and New Zealand signed the agreement whereby the Vacation and Work Program thanks to which Mexican citizens and New Zealanders can travel freely between these countries to work temporarily. Here are the requirements that New Zealand citizens must meet:

  • Have a New Zealand nationality.
  • Be between 18 and 30 years old.
  • Possess economic independence.
  • Have a return ticket or prove that you have sufficient financial solvency to acquire it.
  • Have financial solvency for expenses derived from maintenance and accommodation during the stay in Mexico.
  • Have a medical and hospitalization insurance during the stay in Mexico.


Foreign citizens from the US or other countries do not need a visa if their period of study is not longer than 6 months, which means that it will be enough to submit an FMM. However, they must submit the following documents:

  • Valid passport: together with a photocopy of the page where the passport number, personal data, photo, signature and corresponding visas appear.
  • Two passport-sized photographs: if possible, in which the interested party does not wear glasses.
  • Letter of admission from the Mexican educational center where the interested party will study: The recipient must be the Consulate General of Mexico in Taleigh. The original letter must be sent along with the following information: full name, date of birth and passport number of the interested party; name of the course in which he has been admitted; course start date or deadline until the student can enroll or enroll; duration or end date of the course; tuition cost; reasons why the interested person will study in said educational center; Identification data of the institution: personal data of the head of the educational center.
  • Economic solvency: in which it is demonstrated that the student has a monthly US $ 300.00.
National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM)

Mexico-Canada Youth Mobility Program

This program is promoted by the Memorandum of Understanding for Mobility of Canadian and Mexican Youth.

It is intended to promote the mobility of young people of both nationalities between these countries for any of the following purposes:

  • Study
  • Work temporarily
  • Make internships

In addition, it is possible to perform several of these activities at the same time during the stay.

You can get detailed information about this program by clicking on this link.

Resident status

Foreigners who wish to remain in Mexican territory as residents, will have to opt for any of the following conditions:

  • Temporary resident: This condition authorizes foreigners to reside in Mexico for a period not exceeding four years. During this period, the citizen has a paid work permit and, in addition, the right to enter and leave as many times as he wishes.
  • Temporary Resident Student: The foreigner is authorized to remain in the country during the entire period of the course, training period or research project that will be carried out in any educational center belonging to the national education system.
  • Permanent resident: This permit authorizes foreigners to obtain permanent residence in the country, with the right to work in exchange for remuneration.

For more information, we recommend you click on this link.


If you travel only to Mexico, D. F. and its surroundings, then it will not be necessary to establish a vaccination schedule. However, if our destination is the Riviera Maya or Cancun, for example, it is advisable to get vaccinated for the following diseases:

  • Hepatitis A and B
  • Tetanus and diphtheria (TD)
  • Typhoid fever

It is also advisable to take preventive measures such as drink bottled water; never drink water from fountains, rivers or faucets; wash the fruit before taking it; and use a Dengue, for which there is no vaccine yet.

This article has been shared 1696 times.

Finally, we have selected the previous and next article of the block "Prepare the trip"so you can continue reading:

Leave a Reply