Traveler help

Tips, documentation and requirements to travel to South Korea

The Republic of Korea or South Korea is an interesting Asian country that draws attention for its culture. However, to be able to visit it, certain requirements must be met. In this guide, we explain what it takes to travel to this country. In addition, we give you some important tips.

Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.

Necessary documents

The documentation required to enter South Korea varies depending on the purpose of the trip and the nationality of the traveler. Some people can enter without a visa, while others must process it:


All travelers wishing to enter South Korea must have a valid passport. In relation to this, if no remunerated activity is to be carried out, the citizens of these territories can remain in the country until 90 days or 3 months without having to apply for a visa:

  • TO: Germany, Antigua and Barbuda, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Austria
  • B: Bahamas, Barbados, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria
  • C: Chile, Vatican City, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia
  • D: Denmark, Dominica
  • AND: El Salvador, United Arab Emirates, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, United States, Estonia
  • F: Finland, France
  • G: Granada, Greece, Guatemala
  • H: Haiti, Hong Kong, Hungary
  • I: Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Italy
  • J: Jamaica, Japan
  • K: Kuwait
  • L: Latvia, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg
  • M: Macao, Malaysia, Malta, Morocco, Mexico
  • N: Nicaragua, Norway, New Zealand
  • OR: Oman
  • P: Panama, Netherlands, Peru, Poland, Portugal,
  • Q: Qatar
  • R: United Kingdom, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Romania
  • S: Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Lucia, Serbia, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, Suriname
  • T: Thailand, Taiwan, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey
  • OR: Uruguay
  • V: Venezuela
People of Canadian nationality can stay in South Korea for up to six months without having a visa.

Likewise, citizens of Russia and Lesotho have the same right if the stay is less than 60 days. On the other hand, these are the countries that are exempt in a visit of up to 30 days:

  • TO: Argentina, Andorra, Albania
  • B: Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • AND: Ecuador, Egypt
  • C: Cyprus
  • F: Fiji
  • H: Honduras
  • I: Marshall Islands, Solomon Islands
  • K: Kazakhstan
  • P: Paraguay, Palau
  • G: Guyana, Guam
  • M: Monaco, Montenegro, Micronesia, Mauritius
  • N: Nauru, New Calzedonia
  • S: San Marino, Samoa, South Africa, Seychelles, Swaziland
  • T: Tuvalu, Tonga, Tunisia
  • K: Kiribati

To visit Jeju, an island province of Korea, up to 30 days, it is not necessary to apply for a visa, except for people from the following States:

  • Afghanistan
  • Cuba
  • Ghana
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Kosovo
  • Macedonia
  • Nigeria
  • Palestine
  • Sudan
  • Syria


People with a nationality other than those we have previously mentioned must apply for a short-term visa to travel to Korea as tourists. One of these territories is Bolivia. To do this, the following papers must be presented at the embassy:

  • Application form.
  • Background certificate.
  • Bank statement reflecting a minimum of USD 8,000 (US dollars).
  • Roundtrip plane ticket.
  • Trip schedule provided by the travel agency. This should be in contact with a Korean agency, so a copy of the Korean agency's record must be submitted.
  • Hotel reservation confirmation.
  • Photocopy of the card and passport.
  • Original passport
  • Two passport-sized photos (3.5 × 4.5 cm).
  • Money to pay the fee.

He cost The visa, although it may vary in some territories, is as follows:

Type of visaPrice in dollars (USD)
90 days or less, one entry40
91 days or more, one entry60
Two tickets70
Multiple entries90
People from any country except Cuba, China and Macedonia who have entered Korea more than four times in two years or more than ten times in total, and have not carried out any crime or illegal activity, will be exempt from a visa.

If you are interested in going to study in Korea, you must apply for a D-2 visa. Also, if what you want is to learn the language, the necessary permission is that of type D-4.

Similarly, if what you want is to go to live and work in the country, either for a certain period or permanently, you must apply for a specific visa.

To request certain permits such as business or research, it is not necessary to go to an embassy, ​​but it can be carried out online (e-Visa) by clicking in this link.


The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation of Spain gives some tips or advice to those who want to travel to Korea. First, it indicates that the Korean health system is of quality, but remarkably expensive, so it is highly advisable to take out medical insurance.

You should know that people who need hospitalization must pay a deposit and sometimes even have the endorsement of a Korean citizen. On the other hand, it is better not to drink tap water and it is better to avoid fish and shellfish from street stalls in summer.


There is no mandatory vaccine to enter South Korea. However, it is always advisable to have the following basic vaccination up to date:

  • Tetanus-Diphtheria
  • Triple viral (measles, rubella and mumps)
  • Hepatitis A

While there is no need for additional protection for large cities like Seoul, it is advisable to get vaccinated against japanese encephalitis If you are going to stay in rural areas. Also, on certain occasions it is also advisable to have the typhoid fever vaccine.

Other diseases of which there is a low risk are malaria in the north of the country and malaria, of which there is only evidence of isolated cases in Kangwon province.

User Questions

Are there scholarships to travel to Korea as a student?

Yes, both the government of the Republic of Korea and some of the most important universities in the country offer scholarships to young foreigners who wish to study in their territory.

Is it advisable to travel to South Korea with children?

Yes, since South Korea is a safe and quiet country where there is no danger for the little ones. However, some tourist services are not fully adapted to babies and children.

This article has been shared 449 times.

Finally, we have selected the previous and next article of the block "Prepare the trip"so you can continue reading:

Leave a Reply