Before traveling to Spain it is important to know what the immigration requirements are and what procedures should be done. The necessary documentation is not the same for all people, as the reason for the trip and the country of origin of the traveler must be taken into account.
Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.
- 1 Necessary documents
- 2 Other requirements
- 3 User Questions
The roles that are needed to go to Spain vary depending on the nationality of the traveler, as well as the reason why you want to enter the country.
ID and Passport
The citizens of the Member States of the European Union, in addition to Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, must only present their National Identity Document in order to enter Spain.
Likewise, holders of a residence permit or a long-stay visa do not need a visa in one of the member countries of the Schengen area. You can find out which territories are part of this agreement in the following article: The Schengen area and the member states of the European Union.
In addition to those already mentioned, there are a significant number of countries whose citizens are allowed to travel to Spain without visa, only with a passport, as long as they enter as tourists and their stay is less than 90 days in a period of 180 days. They are the following territories:
- TO: Albania, Andorra, Argentina, Australia
- B: Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei
- C: Canada, Chile, Vatican City, Colombia, South Korea, Costa Rica
- D: Dominica
- AND: El Salvador, United Arab Emirates, United States
- G: Granada, Guatemala
- H: Honduras, Hong Kong
- I: Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Solomon Islands, Israel
- J: Japan
- K: Kiribati
- M: Macao, Malaysia, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro
- N: Nauru, Nicaragua, New Zealand
- P: Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru
- S: Samoa, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Marino, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Lucia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore
- T: Taiwan, East Timor, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu
- OR: Uruguay
- V: Vanuatu, Venezuela
These persons must present a valid passport with a minimum validity of three months after the date of departure and which has been issued in the last ten years, in addition to a hotel reservation or invitation letter and a return ticket. It may also be requested that economic solvency be demonstrated.
Travelers from countries not named above must request a Schengen visa to be able to go to Spain for tourism and for a maximum of three months in a period of 180 days. This must be requested at a consulate or embassy personally. The requirements to achieve it, whether or not the first time the country is visited, are the following:
- Application form completed, signed and with a passport-size photograph. You can buy it by clicking in this link.
- Passport with a minimum validity of three months at the time of departure.
- Photocopy of the first three pages of the passport and other sheets of interest.
- Medical insurance with a minimum coverage of € 30,000.
- Round trip ticket or documentation of the vehicle to be carried.
- Bank statement for the last three months. In the case of being a student, proof of enrollment and accreditation of the parents' financial means.
- If necessary, authorization from the Exchange Office to export currencies.
- Hotel reservation or original and copy of an invitation letter.
The fee that must be paid to acquire this permit is usually € 60 and must be requested between three months and fifteen days prior to the trip. These same requirements apply to travel to Spain as a family visit.
If you want to go to live in Spain to study or work, you must have a long-term visa, unless you come from the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.
Also, to travel with an employment contract, it is necessary to apply for a residence and work authorization for someone else. To get it, you have to have a job offer from Spain and be in your country.
Refering to family reunification, can be requested for the spouse and children under 18 or disabled who are not married, as well as first-degree ascendants of the regrouper or his spouse who are over 65 years.
The person requesting this temporary residence authorization for their family members must be living in Spain for at least one year and have an authorization to stay for at least one more year.
It is allowed to travel with your pet to Spain. In the case of dogs, cats and ferrets that come from a European Union country, they have the following requirements:
- Microchip or identifying tattoo
- Rabies Vaccination
- European passport for the movement of pets
- They cannot be under 15 weeks
Also, if you come from a country that is not a member of the European Union, you must access Spain through a Passenger Entry Point and to declare to the Fiscal Guard of the Civil Guard that you go with a companion animal. In addition, if you do not have a European passport for the movement of pets, this is necessary:
- Animal health certificate in Spanish signed by an official veterinarian.
- Certified copy of animal identification and vaccination data.
- Microchip or identifying tattoo.
- Vaccination against rabies.
- Submission to a serological test against rabies in an authorized laboratory, unless it comes from one of the countries that appears in the list that you can consult by clicking in this link.
On the other hand, as for traveling with children, they must not meet any additional requirements. However, if you are traveling with only the National Identity Document (coming from a country authorized to do so), you must have a parental permit.
Similarly, there is no mandatory or required vaccine to travel to Spain. It is only recommended to have basic vaccination:
- Triple viral (measles, rubella and mumps)
- Hepatitis A
Can I get a Schengen visa for Spain without having an invitation letter?
Yes, it is not necessary to have an invitation letter, it is also accepted to have made a hotel reservation.
What are the requirements to travel to Spain as an American resident?
In the case of being an American resident, at the time of applying for a Schengen visa, proof of immigration status in the United States must be presented.
How much does it cost to travel to Spain?
The price varies greatly depending on the starting point. From the rest of Europe, flights are quite cheap, but from other continents it usually costs more than € 500.
This article has been shared 214 times.
Finally, we have selected the previous and next article of the block "Prepare the trip"so you can continue reading: