More and more people decide to travel with their dog, cat or pet. For this, it is important to know which airlines allow animals on board, as well as the rules of other means of transport. On the other hand, know the best destinations to go with your partner.
Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.
Each airline has specific requirements when transporting your pet on the plane. These are the ones that have two different options:
- Argentinian airlines: Dogs and cats allowed. In the cabin they will have to have more than 45 days and weigh less than 9 kg. If they exceed this weight, they can go in the hold.
- Aeromexico: in the cabin they can go a maximum of six hours and must weigh less than 9 kg. Up to 45 kg are accepted in the cellar.
- Air Europe: Dogs, cats, birds, fish, aquarium turtles and some rodents are accepted in the cabin. The maximum weight is 8 kg. In the cellar can go the rest of animals, such as ferrets.
- air France: dogs and cats up to 10 weeks. In the cabin if they weigh less than 8 kg. In the hold, up to 75 kg and three animals are allowed per passenger.
- Avianca (TACA): on non-transoceanic flights, dogs and cats are allowed in the cabin. In the cellar, they can weigh up to 20 kg and can go a maximum of 5 hours. They have to be older than 8 months.
- Binter Canary: in cabin up to 8 kg. The rest must go in the cellar.
- Copa Airlines: dogs and cats older than 8 weeks, in the cabin those less than 9 kg. Small birds only within Colombia.
- Iberia: any type of animal. If you go in the cabin, you can weigh up to 8 kg, the rest in the hold of the plane. The conditions of Air Nostrum are the same.
- Interjet: the maximum weight in the cabin is 5 kg. In the cellar they can reach 50 kg. Only dogs and cats are allowed.
- KLM: in cabin up to 8 kg. As billable luggage, the maximum is 75 kg.
- LATAM (LAN and TAM): dogs and cats that, if they go in the cabin, do not exceed 7 kg. In cellar, up to 45 kg. Children under 8 months are not allowed.
- Lufthansa: up to 8 kg in the cabin, the rest in the hold.
- Norwegian: in cabin, cats and dogs for at least 8 weeks and up to 8 kg. The rest, along with checked baggage.
- Swiss: in cabin, dogs and cats of less than 8 kg. In the cellar, the rest.
- TAP Portugal: dogs and cats up to 8 kg in cabin. In the hold, a maximum of 45 kg, with the exception of flights that stop in the US, Hungary, France, Luxembourg and the Netherlands (maximum weight of 32 kg).
- Volaris: dogs and cats older than 4 months. In the cabin if they weigh less than 10 kg, in the hold up to 45 kg.
All companies require that the animal go in a cage in which it has enough space. This must be closed during the whole journey. If you go in the cabin, it is placed under the front seat. The maximum weight indicated includes both the animal and the carrier.
Several veterinary documents are requested and an extra fee must be paid that varies depending on the company. Some of them have a transfer service for animals of any weight. However, these may not go on the same plane as the owner.
On the other hand, some companies only give an option in a large part of their flights:
- Savior: in the hold with a maximum weight of 20 kg. In the cabin they can only go on flights to or from the United States.
- British Airways: in the cabin only guide dogs. In the hold, the animals are managed by the company IAG World Cargo.
- Conviasa: Only dogs and cats are allowed, which must go in the cellar.
- Delta Air Lines: in the cabin, dogs and cats for a minimum of 10 weeks for national trips, 16 for international trips and 15 for within the European Union. Domestic birds only within the US. Prohibited to go in the cellar during the summer.
- Jet blue: There is no cellar option. In the cabin, cats dogs up to 9 kg.
- Singapore Airlines: They can only go in the cellar. Dogs and cats older than 6 months.
- Sky airline: dogs and cats can go in the cellar, but sedated.
- United Airlines: inside the US, cats, small dogs, rabbits and domesticated birds are allowed in the cabin. On international flights it varies.
- Long live Aerobus: Only dogs and cats up to 32 kg can go in the cabin. In the cabin, guide dogs.
- Vueling: Dogs, cats, birds, fish and aquarium turtles allowed. The maximum weight is 8 kg and they go in the cabin. They do not move in the cellar.
As for the companies that they do not allow Animals on board, with the exception of guide dogs, are the following:
In the case of Spain, the main railway operator is Renfe. The conditions for traveling with animals depend on the type of train:
- AVE and Long Distance: Dogs, cats, ferrets and non-poultry birds are allowed. The maximum weight is 10 kg. Each traveler can carry only one animal. This must be inside a cage whose dimensions do not exceed 60x35x35 cm. Depending on the rate, it will be free or with a charge.
- Medium Distance and Avant: the requirements of the animals are the same. If one is transported, an extra 25% must be paid with respect to the General Rate.
- Surroundings: known in Catalonia as Stands. It is not necessary to take the animal in a cage, but it will have to go with a leash and muzzle. Also, you don't have to pay more.
Therefore, a drawback of traveling by AVE or long and medium distance trains is that you will not be able to go with your dog if it is large.
If you plan to travel with a dog for Europe, you will not have great impediments, as most companies accept them. In the case of the ICE train (InterCity Express) they must go either by carrier or with a strap and muzzle. This model goes through the following countries:
Another way to go on vacation with your dog is by land. The law does not include any prohibition, it only indicates that the animals do not disturb or remove visibility to the driver.
There are different methods to take a dog in the car. The most dangerous thing is to wear it loose. With a single hitch harness or a carrier secured with a seat belt, collisions can be dangerous.
The two hitch harness is more stable. On the other hand, one of the best options is to place the carrier on the floor of the vehicle, between the front and rear seats.
If you want your pet to have more mobility, another alternative is to place a dividing grid between the trunk and the rest of the vehicle. However, a collision can be serious for the animal.
Therefore, according to the DGT (Directorate General of Traffic) the safest way for both passengers and animals is to combine the carrier with the dividing grid. The same can be applied to the van and motorhome.
You can travel in Blablacar with your pet as long as the driver agrees. Cats tend to be more nervous during transfers, so you can give them a sedative, as long as you check with the veterinarian before.
The bus or bus is a more restrictive means of transport as far as pet transport is concerned, although it may be ideal for a weekend getaway. Each company has its rules: in some they allow traveling with animals, while in others they do not.
In the vehicles of the company Alsa can go dogs, cats and other pets of up to 10 kilos. They must go in the cellar and inside a cage.
The Mexican bus company Futura also allows it. If it is a long journey, the animal must go sedated. In the case of Primera Plus, sedation is also a requirement.
When it comes to numbing an animal, it is important to heed the veterinarian's recommendations. Otherwise, it could be dangerous for the dog or cat.
In Argentina it is forbidden in most micro or long distance buses. As for the Chilean company Turbus, the only exception applies to the case of guide dogs.
Some animals are also welcome by boat or ferry. In Buquebus you can go a dog, cat or bird per traveler. The maximum weight allowed is 6 kilos and you have to travel in a carrier or inside the car.
As for Baleària, when booking, you have to choose between small cage (under 30 kg), large cage or own carrier. The price is € 10, except in the following lines, which is free:
With Fred Olsen they can go in a cage, provided they weigh less than 6 kg. In Grimaldi Lines, if they exceed this limit, they are accommodated in a kennel. In addition, they can take a walk on the outside of the ship.
They can also go outside with Naviera Armas. In this case, they can go inside if they do not weigh more than 10 kg and go inside a carrier. When taking them out, they have to wear a leash. Dogs of breeds considered dangerous should wear muzzles.
Dogs, cats and harmless animals are allowed in the Transmediterranea fleet. They will go in a cage of 50x40x25 cm or, if they do not fit, with a strap and muzzle. In the ferries a booth area is enabled.
To travel to any country with your dog, it must carry a chip, keep vaccinations up to date and have a veterinary certificate. Also, for some destinations, they need a passport. Some places are more recommended than others.
France is a country that respects animals, so they support people traveling here with them. In much of the restaurants they let the dogs pass. However, there is usually a size limit.
In addition, it is a site with large parks and green areas, ideal for our pet to exercise and enjoy. There are even shopping centers where they are admitted.
In recent years, Panama has begun to open up to one more world. pet friendly. There are already some accommodations where pets can sleep. Also, there are usually no problems on the terraces of the establishments.
Although it depends on each area, in the United States we find states and cities in which the dog is one of the community. In the case of New York, there are restaurants with menus for them.
However, the territory that stands out the most is San Francisco. Here you can enter with them some attractions and monuments. In addition, as its inhabitants have so many dogs, they have many amenities.
In Portugal you can also eat on the terraces of the restaurants accompanied by your pet. It is also not difficult to find accommodation for both, although it depends on the area.
The first Portuguese beach where dogs are allowed is in Porto of Areia Norte, in Peniche. However, more and more areas will join this initiative year after year.
Argentina is another Latin American country that is gradually accepting travelers with dogs. Especially in Buenos Aires, you will have no problem finding an accommodation where pets are allowed.
Other corners of the country to travel with your partner are Mendoza, Tierra del Fuego and Mar de Plata.
This article has been shared 53 times.
Finally, we have selected the previous and next article of the block "Prepare the trip"so you can continue reading: