Gyros is a dish of Greek origin that consists of a kind of sandwich made with pita bread. If we travel to Greece, we will see in the streets of the city center various fast food outlets where you can taste this traditional dish. Below we show you the complete recipe so you can prepare homemade gyros.
Here are the ingredients you will need to prepare between 6 and 8 gyros (for 4-6 people):
- 1 white onion
- 1 purple onion
- 500 gr of lamb, pork, beef or chicken
- 6-8 Greek pitas or pita breads
- 1 crested or iceberg lettuce
- 5 chontos or branch tomatoes
- Tzatziki or yogurt sauce
- 2 garlic heads
- Sweet paprika or paprika
- 10-12 black olives or Kalamata olives
- Ground black pepper
- Lemon juice
Step by step preparation
To prepare gyros, the first thing to do is prepare the meat. The steps you must follow are shown below:
- Marinate the meat with onion, chopped garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, nutmeg, oregano and lemon juice.
- Place in a bowl and marinate in the fridge for 12 hours.
- After these 12 hours, bake the meat at high temperature for 30 min.
- Once baked, cut it into thin slices.
Once we have the meat baked and cut, we can proceed to fill pita bread. Here are the steps you should follow:
- Moisten the pita bread with a little water and then heat them in a pan or grill over medium heat for no more than 1 minute on each side.
- Cut the onions into rings and pickle with vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Once the pita bread is toasted, start filling it with the meat, tomatoes, pickled onion, lettuce cut into strips and sliced olives.
- Then, take some sweet paprika or paprika and yogurt sauce.
- Roll in cone shape and go.
Finally, we have selected the previous and next article of the block "Typical dishes of the world"so you can continue reading: